10.11.2006

In not so many words

Ok, before my garden was totally dead I took some pictures yesterday morning with the help of my lovely German assistant, Anya.



(As you can see in this picture, the street surrounding us is still somewhat blighted looking, this is after many days, over and over cleaning up the debris left by others)



Dilaram and I built this wall with our own bare hands, that was probably the most labor intensive part, that and stupidly hauling BAGS of dirt from Home Cheapo, instead of having a truckload delivered.



You can almost see the arbor that has wisteria growing on it, in the background is the completely voracious cannas.



This part was full of zinnias and poppies in the early summer, now the elephant ears actually have room to grow. In the background is what survived of my herb garden, I actually found a bunch of basil when I cleaned out all the zinnias last month. One thing I learned this year, stupid lemon grass, I will not plant it as part of an herb garden ever again. It gets it's own little corner next time.


Here is the truly amazing blossom of one of the elephant ears, I never knew they did this....






Phaedra wanted to have the last word here, because while she didn't help with the garden she pretty much played the part of the foreman screaming from the window the whole time.
As far as my neighborhood garden and the empty threat of Gorn, well that will have to wait for now, it's not DONE yet.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WRATH of GORN appeased FOR NOW....

This and That said...

Wow...you are a little Martha Stewart sans the insider trading! Looks great.If you ever move back here, you have a job helping me figure out my backyard. (there are some great homes for sale on our block too!)

Blackpetunia said...

I was actually looking at realestate in Denver, and Damn! For the house we bought we would've paid something like 200K over what we paid here. That is the only thing that sucks.
Uh, but there aren't any mountains here, so does that even it out?

I love to do garden stuff, it's meditation for me, and it's always worth the finished product.
I haven't even started on the back yard, that is hopefully going to have some paths and water features and, oh, well, anyway, I have big plans for that too.

locomocos said...

well, if you already have a plan - does that mean i'm off the hook?

or did you still want one?

;D

Blackpetunia said...

You are confusing things (like Gorn), Cassie. I have the plan for our neighborhood planter drawn up and am about to plant that. My backyard needs help! Bad! Pro-fession-al help. Please. You just need to come here and help though.

Hannah said...

Your garden looks fabulous. I have seen some master gardening here and find that it is a much needed escape in the city. Our house has no garden so my father-in-law just keeps a bunch of potted plants. They look so pitiful. However, after visiting Kyoto's temples, I realized how amazing Japanese landscapers are. Abosolutely incredible. I am glad you found a place for your creativity. You may have left dance behind, but you have found yourself in gardening. Lovely BLOG.

Ted said...

That looks beautiful, seriously. But unless somebody comes and keeps them all maintained for me - I cannot stand plants!

Blackpetunia said...

Having certain staples are important. We still have the habanero plant that I put in a pot three years ago. It has a ton of fruits on it right now. I have seen the passion flower, and actually I saw it at my friends this summer. There vine was amazing. I think it likes the humidity. I hope you get a garden soon, I know it's really important to you, too.

Anonymous said...

How cute Anya looks in front of your beautiful garden. Phedra is looking cute too. We can squeek out a few more weeks before it all dies. That is the biggest bummer and the most excitiing thing about living in a climate like ours. On the one hand you have to plant annuals every year for color on the other it's fun to reinvent every year. S

Anonymous said...

` Wow!! That's a really nice garden!! (And cute puppy and kitty.) I can't imagine how much work you must have put into it!
` All I have is a dead lawn. Which is sad because if we were allowed to have a garden, it would be huge and full of tomatoes and mint and some stuff could continue growing all winter because it barely ever freezes in Everett.
` And that's a good idea - hot pepper plants. ...Ours is dead!